While showering this morning, I got to thinking about the fact that I didn't discover shaving the lady bits until I was 42. A late bloomer in this, as with so many things, but now I can't stand the hair. Then I wondered if there were others out there to whom it just hadn't occurred to them, bald is an option.
So I asked my on-line book club...
Question for you sexy ladies, I am taking a pole for something I want to write and you are the sexiest ladies I know. So here goes...
How do we feel about shaving the lady bits?
I have a theory that 35 and under do, 35 and over don't...
SO here is my question, do you shave bare, just trim, or let nature have it's way, and your age please? (Don't judge me, LOL)
Of the 150 (and still counting) responses, there were 60 year olds sporting the Brazilian, and 20 year olds who liked a full flock. I was amazed at the variety and reasoning behind each response. Some did it because their man liked it, some because they liked it. With everything from the feminist movement to porn discussed, I learned a thing or twelve.
I can't share their answers here. I wouldn't break their trust that way, but I will share mine...
I love that this has turned into a great conversation. I will say the reason I tried for the first time was for him. The reason I stayed that way was for me. Quite frankly, he doesn't care what the porch looks like once he's in the door so to speak. But I feel somehow free. It's like removing the fixed loin cloth and truly being naked. Again, LOL don't judge. Plus, Just going to call a spade a spade, I am a bigger girl and it helps with the sweat situation.
Naughty or not, I think everyone should try it once. So here are some tips, if you dare...
There are a few different routes you can go:
1) Waxing, any day spa will do it (they do it every day, you won't shock them by requesting it.)
Runs about $40 depending on your local, and lasts about a month-ish, according to my peeps. I don't go that route cause I did hot wax on my pits and it hurt like a mf. not putting it on the girly parts.
2) Laser removal, costs a pretty penny, but lasts for years and several ladies swear by it. (Shaking my head 'cause I'm a chicken....and cheap.)
3) The good old razor. (My avenue of choice.)
If you are going to use a razor, this is not the place to skimp, literary and figuratively. Use a new, GOOD razor, not the 10 cent cheap ones. And use products made for the tender skin there.
I like these because they prevent red bumps (ingrown hairs):
-Bikini Zone anti-bump shave gel
-Bikini Zone medicated after shave
1) Make things easy on yourself, use the hubby's beard trimmer or scissors to take off the bulk to start.
2) Once you are in the shower or tub, exfoliate with a loofa. Yes, on your girl parts. They are tough and as Bettie White says "Can take a pounding". You don't have to be mean, just exfoliate as you would any other delicate skin such as your face.
3) Use the shave cream, pull the skin tight and go with the grain, then go again against the grain. I do not recommend going over the skin back and forth to get it perfect the first time out. I've done that and razor burn is a real thing, which you don't want there. Imperfection is fine, only you and your man are going to see.
4) Pat dry, and use the aftershave (outside only).
Don't shave the back region if you can get away with it. I have three hairs there, shaved 'em to be thorough, and it itched like a 30 pound mosquito had me for dinner, whereas the front didn't itch at all.
If you do itch, triple antibiotic ointment is your friend.
So there it is, way too much info about me I'm sure. Did I miss anything? Leave it in the comments. Or if you have something to add, leave that too.
Remember, you don't have to shave to be sexy, but sometimes trying something new is the difference between routine and extraordinary. Sexy is as sexy does!