We’ve all read the magazines to make date night special. Romantic walks on the beach, picnics in the park, long hikes, etc. All great “first-date” ideas, but I propose at some point in your relationship you are going to read these articles and roll your eyes. Been there, done that doesn't even begin to over it.
So what does that leave? How many times can you whisper "I'm not wearing underwear under my dress" before you have to start whispering you do have them on to shake things up? If you've been together for any length of time, you know exactly what I am talking about.
Being married 20 years and still excited to spend time alone with the hubby, I like to think I have an idea or two worth sharing. So here it is…Date Night, grown up style. Don’t blush, even if you don’t try these specific dates, my hope is to open a well of untapped ideas and you walk away with a refreshed view of the date night doldrums.
- Burlesque Shows- Just to clarify, I am not talking about a seedy strip club, which we have also gone to and I do not recommend. They are dark, the dancers looked bored and the men looked ashamed to be there. Not a fun time. We found a real burlesque show where dancers, a comedian and a musician entertained us after an elegant meal. The dancers weren’t perfectly shaped, but they were glamorous and confident, each sexy in their own way. Yes I saw G-strings and pasties, but nothing more, and they were accompanied by smiles and laughter. It almost reminded me of an old vaudeville show. All in all, a great time. (‘The Pink Door’ near Pikes Market, Seattle, WA)
- A hotel room with an In-Room 2 person Jacuzzi tub- This is beyond romantic. The tubs are big and luxurious, and there is nothing like kneeling in a tub with your hair piled on top your head and a bed only feet away to make you feel like a seductive siren. (Silver Cloud Hotel, Lake Union, WA)
- Couples Message- We found a romantic spa that does side by side massages for an hour. Then they quietly leave and allow you to explore their amenities alone for another hour. The opulent room provides a birdbath full of clay for body painting and bowls of sugar scrub, which you are encouraged to rub one another down before you step into the two person shower. (Little Red Day Spa, Seattle, WA)
- My grown up take on the hike or picnic includes an opportunity to skinny dip. But you must do your research and have the conversation ahead of time. Nothing more awkward than if one of you start to strip seductively next to a lazy river only to discover your partner can’t swim. Or you both strip only to find out the other side of the river is holding their annual fishing derby. The internet is a beautiful thing.
- Adult Toy Store- Make a pledge to find one thing to bring home and try. Consider it an adventure. Consider it a door to new conversations that you normally would be too afraid to bring up. A cautious joke can quickly turn into sharing an unspoken fantasy. The chain stores are clean, well lit, and staffed with knowledgeable employees there to answer your questions. Ask questions, learn something new and remember your pledge, which makes trying something new a little easier.