1) "An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises." - Mae West
In other words, GET BUSY! I had to finally start using an old-fashioned datebook and carry it in my purse. I put in it what I want to accomplish the next week and live, live live for those little check marks. Mind you the tasks are simple, ie: one tweet , one post, one marketing contact. Write today. All those little check marks add up to something bigger by the end of the week. But always always move forward.
2) "If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn
Rules are a fine line in the literary world. FIrst, you have to know the rules, then you have to shake them up, bend them, break them. Find your own way, and FORGE YOUR OWN PATH. But this can't be done if you don't know the landscape first, least you get stuck in quick sand. And if, by chance, you do get stuck, remember it's just a delay in the journey not the end of it.
3) "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!" - Dr. Seuss
Stand out from the crowd. Be true to yourself. You cannot be everything to everybody. But you are the only one like you out there. Listen to your inner voice and trust it. Everyone gets bad reviews. Everyone. Even Shakespeare had his critiques. The key is to question if there's an oppertunity to learn from it. If not, then ignore it. If so, then take it, run with it and become better for it.
4) "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Don’t fret about what isn’t or didn’t work. There is no sucess without failure. Otherwise how would we know it when we got there. Think of every hicup as one more link in the chain you have to build to reach your goal. Find another way and keep going. Light your candle and move forward.
5) "There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers
Never stop learning form experts.
These quotes have shaped me and made me, not just a better writer, but a braver one willing to try new things. Do you have a Quote that spurs you on? Share it in the comments below.